We sat down with 9Health Expert, Dr. Payal Kohli to ask her some questions about the COVID-19 vaccination and children. Watch the whole video here:
Here are some highlights:
What reactions might children have to vaccine?
- Very similar to adults- fever, muscle aches, fatigue, headaches
- Since the dose is smaller, the reactions aren’t as severe as adults
What should a parent do if their child has a reaction?
- Just wait it out if mild symptoms
- Don’t give your child ibuprofen or Tylenol before getting the vaccination
- Talk to pediatrician if any questions
How many doses will children need and how spread apart?
- Children will need two doses and spread out about 21 days
- Children are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after second dose
How is this vaccine different than one for adults?
- Same type of vaccine, but lower dose
- Only 10 micrograms for children, adults are receiving 30 micrograms
Why should children be vaccinated against COVID-19?
- For the safety of children and get them protected
- Protect the adults around them
- Help finish the fight of COVID-19